Just finished watching a new version of Jane Eyre on DVD made in 2011, with Mia Wasikowska who I had never seen before as a brilliant Jane, just perfect for the role, and Michael Fassbender as a terrific Rochester. Even Judi Dench appeared as the housekeeper.
I think it is good if you know the story, as it starts with Jane leaving Thornfield Hall, very upset and running away through boggy land. So it starts in the middle, then goes back to her childhood. If you didn't know the story already it might have been slightly confusing, but later it goes back to Jane walking through the boggy fields and so it would all have fallen into place.
I think one of the best features was the lighting! It really looked like the rooms were lit by huge fires, or by the actual candlelight, throwing up shadows. So many times someone lights one candle, and the whole room seems to light up. I've tried reading by a candle and its extremely difficult!
Great film which I recommend, one reviewer wrote: A love story, as fiercely intelligent as it is passionate".
The costumes seemed to be quite authentic, near the end she has the sweetest bonnet which looks all lacy around the brim, her wedding apparel was lovely too.
I can't seem to stop discovering Bronte things this year, even though I've moved on to the following month's author!!
Sunday, February 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I watched it too and found the setting faithful to the Gothic undertones unlike some versions. But if you are into the chemistry between Jane and Rochester check out the 1973 miniseries.
Caroline.
Post a Comment