I was thrilled to find that I had won the Best Lace exhibit in a local show (the Geelong Show) with a Honiton piece. It also won first prize in its section. Honiton lace for those that don't know is the finest English lace, made with thread size 180 (the larger the number the finer the thread). The bobbins used don't have spangles (beads at the bottom), their ends are just pointy as it is a freeform lace (rather than making a long strip) and you need to join sections, this is accomplished by drawing one bobbin thread through a previous stitch forming a loop, and putting the second bobbin through the loop (thus easier with a pointy end) and tightening. Not many people do this type of lace here, but the results are worth the effort.
Saturday, December 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
That's beautiful! And what Julie doesn't tell you is that a little piece like that can take up to a hundred hours to make.... she's got a wealth of patience!
That is beautiful done. As a lapsed lace-maker I know how much concentration and dedication it takes to produce such a gorgeous piece. Congrats
Heather
ohhh beautiful :) and defo worth all those hours at it :) well done :) love mouse xxx
Heth!! The bobbin lace world needs you, come back, come back!!
Meg and mouse, thank you also for the kind words, you are very sweet
cheers
Julie
Beautiful piece and well worth the win. Honiton lace is well known over here in the UK for it's fineness.
What a beautiful piece of lace, you are an amazing artist!! Congratulations on your win! Any chance you could give classes over the internet? I would LOVE to learn!! *Hugs*
Congratulations on winning .If you start those internet lessons I am definitely in.
It's just lovely Julie. I'm really impressed that you can use such fine thread. I would be afraid of breaking it!!! Congratulations!
Oh goodness, that's gorgeous Julie! Congrats on the award that is definitely well deserved for the detailed work! (I'd be terrified of breaking it too!)
Thank you also for joining the WIPocalypse. I've just added you to the participant list.
Happy New Year!
Wow! You are one talented lady! That lace is gorgeous!! Congrats on the well deserved win! Thanks for sharing!
Melissa J.
Congratulations. Your lacing is amazing!
Post a Comment